Skip to main content

The Tamil Singularity - Ponniyin Selvan!

I wonder why I took so many years to get to this epic. Reflecting back, I think it would have been a hither-imposed fear to read complicated Tamil or the thither- proclaimed flair for everything English, books and royalty included. It just took the first 100 pages of this Kalki’s magnum opus to make me comprehend the irrationality of both the above self and external imposters. I realized how easy it is to read Kalki or how much I’m in love with my Tamil roots, literature and royalty included! If there was anything real about an organic change, it is what Ponniyin Selvan did to me, and I could not but write about it. And, the good news is that, I’m not the only one Ponniyin Selvan has done this to or will do this to. 

I see the people of Tamilnadu in a new incandescent light, and with a bit of narcissism that I come from the same territory. I’ve always preferred the dusky complexion, but now, I’ve come to love the dark-skinned Tamil women who adorn their wardrobes with ostentatious colors and sparkling gold. They might afterall be descendants of Vanathi or Kundavai. I’ve always found my inner-peace in the huge corridors and dark Gods of the Tamilnadu temples, but now I see every sanctum of Tamilnadu with a third mind’s eye, in which all the trifling sculptures and figurines come to life with their unearthed history. I’ve derided several Tamil movies in which the some heroes and villains indulge in sword fights, but now I comprehend the art behind sword-fighting or archery. Not that I’m sympathetic towards wars now, but I understand why the kings had to be merciless when it comes to defending their land and its inhabitants.


I’ve learnt the Tamil language for several years, but now I’ve come to appreciate the real quintessence of the vintage Tamil literature, particularly Thirukural which is brought to life several times in the novel. I was educated about the Chola-Chera-Pandiyas ruling the southern part of the country and was consequently taught about who-built-which-temple, but now I wonder if those great kings and their favorite consorts would be witnessing us entering the temples across the centuries. I’ve been to Tanjavur several times before, but I look forward to my next trip to the city (like any new fan of the epic), realizing that I stand a chance to walk on the same streets that Prince Arulmozhivarman would have treaded.  In short, I now understand why the Tamils are a proud lot and that they deserve to be.

I’m not going to expand on the story, there are multitudes of web links as many as there are translations and critical analyses of the epic. As Kalki would have desired, there have also been several sequels and some attempted prequels to fit the characters by Tamil novelists,   but I hesitate to pick any of them. No translator or author can do justice to wit or the characterization or what it incinerates in the reader’s mind as Kalki did. As a foolish vested interest, I would like to believe that Arulmozhivarman stayed monogamous. It’s hard to consider that RajaRaja Chozhan and his successors had so many consorts, something I cannot absolve, inspite of the kings’ charms or the rationale behind it - political motivation for peace or to preserve their lineage with multiple male heirs. 

My favorite character was the sublime princess Vanathi. She may be the damsel-in-distress, an archetypal pretty princess, but I admired the way she raised herself, armed with just pristine affection. She loved Arulmozhivarman, and was not ashamed or afraid of expressing that love, which is heroic for a woman in that era. She was also smart to take the right oath at the right time which Kalki portrays as an important event towards the climax. My other preferred character was Periya Pazhuvettarayar . He may have been foolish in love, but saves the entire kingdom from chaos and restores Vandhiyathevan  to the Cholas and to Kundavai.  Aditha Karikalan was my first obsession in the novel. While his “one kill-two birds” kind of valor and “don’t give a damn” attitude extol him above the other princes, his vulnerability to Nandhini's guile and his fraternal warmth for ArulVarman or Kundavai make him human. Just like all the other fans, I’m in awe with the fact that Kalki left all his readers clueless as to who actually murdered him, even at the end of the novel, keeping the thousand year real mystery  alive, this is  cleverer sinister-writing than an Agatha Christie plot. My only qualm is that Kalki wasn’t born in or around Madurai, we would have probably had a magnum opus about the Pandyas ? 




And who wouldn’t like Prince Charming? I meant Arulmozhivarman! Not that I liked Vandhiyathevan less, but I liked the Chola prince more and justifiably so. Unlike the Vanar prince, most of what ArulVarman has been portrayed as is true. Raja Raja Chola was a benovelent king, ruthless expander, patron of arts , a democratic ruler sympathetic towards Buddhism, Vaishnavism and other religions inspite of being an ardent Shaivite. He was also an able administrator, brave warrior, devoted brother et cetera et cetera…

There are several reasons why Ponniyin Selvan has transcended time as a favorite across many generations. The gripping plot, the author’s skill in intertwining facts and fiction making them indiscernible, wit, dialogues, the unfathomable research behind every scene in a Google-less era  and so forth, but like any other good book, I shall ever remember it for the emotional state of mind it left me with as I finished reading it. I surmise that the novel and the creative experience of reading it have become a part of my consciousness that would define me in the future. Not to mention, the literary connection the novel brings about amongst the like-minded historical fiction fanatics, particularly my dad. And I swear to ensure my daughter learns to read Tamil, and I can hope one day that she would adore this epic in the same vein we did!  

Comments

Introspection said…
Love this write up!!! And love the passion....

Popular posts from this blog

Enchante, Mumbai!

  It has been roughly nine years since we landed in the city of dreams - the two of us with a one big suitcase each and one kid half-the size of a case. We walked into an empty apartment on the twelfth floor of a building on a hot June afternoon, physically exhausted, yet high in spirits (Age had not withered us then). Strangely, I seem to remember how the first day in Mumbai unfolded with a lot of detail - insignificant things like the first dress I wore in Mumbai, first road-side sandwich , the first shopping experience in the very Mumbai-sh "DMart", the first person I heard speaking in Tamil in a rather foreign place, the first maid I employed(who promptly quit on me), and of course, the first meal that we ordered (in a non-Swiggy era). Jhumpa Lahiri, in her Pulitzer winning collection "Interpreter of Maladies",  insinuates through one of her characters, who reminisces about his first day in America with a new wife - about how bizarre it is that the mundane first

Thillana Mohanambal.....

Here's some plain speaking ...I stay at Bangalore and yet I've never been any good with movies or with catching up with the latest releases. I can never be dedicated to any task for more than a few minutes, and being glued to the silver screen for two-and-a-half or three hours is not, in many cases, an exception. I do have quite a few English favorites though (This is affectionately called the UK effect by some of my team-mates). Given a choice, I would prefer the Tamil oldies to the latest Hindi or the regional masalas . And speaking of Tamil oldies, the one film that pops up in my mind is this evergreen classic Thillana Mohanambal .. It is truly a classic..not only because it is set in the early to mid nineteenth century or because it is of Eastman colour..but also because generations after generations, people (children and adults alike) have found pleasure in every scene of the movie..I've watched the movie a zillion times before and I can play the entire movie in my

Probability is God!!!

If you agree with this rather audacious claim, then you are either too wise to be reading this blog post or, you have probably read God's Debris and with the wisdom of common sense, you are willing to ponder about this statement, and its equally contentious converse - God is Probability!!! I am, as you may have guessed with my previous posts, not too wise. I happened to read God's Debris , and I happen to be common-sensical , and I coined these propositions. Here is the inductional hypothetical base upon which I try to prove these.. Probability is based on the law of averages . The probability of getting a head while tossing a coin is (1/2). Does it mean that when you toss a coin twice, you are guaranteed to get head once and a tail once? Not really!!! It means that when you toss a coin 100 times, you are likely to get heads 50 times and tails 50 times, and when you toss the same Godforbidden coin 1000 times, you are more likely to get heads 500 times and tails 500 times. P