Skip to main content

The Mistress of Spices..

No, this post is not another rave review of the recent film, nor is a critical analysis of the book by the same name, nor is it about Aishwarya Rai, the lead actor in the film. This post is about every Indian woman who happens to command the kitchen, be it sugar or spices, carrots or coconuts, halwa or their husbands who linger around longingly.....this post is dedicated to that Indian Woman...The Mistress of Spices....

Everybody loves their mother's food. A mom-made sambar is way better than a McDonald's burger or even a Subway sandwich and healthier too...simply because of the spices or the lack of it...more because she knows how you'd like it..
I love my mom's food too...I grew up savoring the various delicacies, be it idlis or mysore paks. Yes, I did call idlis a delicacy. Its after all, mom-made..I can go down listing all my favorite recipes that my mom does, extolling her above all creatures, but I curtail myself, not just because of space constraints, but because, every mom 's recipe becomes the kid's favorite, espcially after the kid sets out to experiment and satiate his quest and curiousity for the multi-cuisine food available outside..and reproachfully retreats to the mostly harmless home food.

My semantic teammate would understand, I was pretty finicky about food and the accessories(side dishes) that went with it, I wanted only the ellu mulagai podi with mom-made idlis, while I preferred (and still prefer) the sambar and the medley of colored chutneys with the idlis at the restaurants..I simply refused to mutate this simple association, guess its been injected into my DNA...slowly..and I cant fathom how or why.

Speaking of restaurants and DNAs, the one place that has been intertwined with my DNA strands as the restaurant, is the preeminent 'Arya Bhavan By Night' at Madurai, the city where I grew up. Those were the days, when my dad used to take me there, we waiting and groping for seats for at least about half an hour, ravenous with hunger, lustfully looking at the food being carried around to serve desirous mouths..And all for that plate of a couple of sambar vadai's and spiced thayir vadai's...Bangalore restaurants offering multi-varied cuisines from different geographies, food courts in malls, fast food centers in airport lounges have done little to detangle that nostalgic DNA strand.

True, spices exist in other continents as well, the Greek cinnamon, Chinese fenugreek, Italian basils and oregano, Mexican jalapeno, Hungarian juniper berries, I've tasted most of these and like a few of them, but I love the Indian perungayam, ginger, elachi, mustard more...Just as how, cooks exist everywhere, but the Indian cook is special...Don't ask me why...I am conditioned to reflect that way...

Am not sure how healthy any of these spices are, I dont want to dwelve in detail into the chemical characertisitics of each. As long as tehre is thayir sadham (with the spiced pickle accessory) to support my digestive system, after a round of spicy restaurant food followed by the usual intestinal washup routine, I would continue to savor the spices...and the Mistress of Spices....

Comments

Divya said…
Great post, and I shamelessly admit that after not having left my comments for a lot of your other recent posts,i am doing it here coz i cherish indian food, south indian food and your post kindled my senses. How can one not like the kozhakkatai's (the different flavours), or the sakkarai pongal and ulundhu vadai combination, or even the thiruvadharai kazhi for example, and amma samayal sapdratha vida oru sandhosham irukka mudiyuma? That's why it always hard to please a man's stomach cos he's grown up cherishing his mom's food and thats precisely why the way to his heart is through his stomach. My two cents :)
Ananth said…
While I totally agree with the macrocosmic love for maternal cooking, I must admit that the best "Masal Dosai" I've eaten was made by a Male Pakistani Cook in Dublin.

But Idlis and Thayir Sadam are a different story altogether. Only ammas and pattis can compete in that zone ;-)
Rams said…
:) Nice one! Till date, I maintain my stance that Indian cooking is way far more advanced than any other cuisine in the whole world! Such a variety, taste and greatly health conscious...
Venkat said…
அம்மா கையில் சமையல் சின்னதான போதும் எண்ணிப் பார்க்க இன்பம் இல்லையா...
Unknown said…
amma samayal is the best in the world not only because of the right blend of spices and other ingredients, it is because of the love with which she prepares it (sounds clichéd or filmi? but that is the agmark truth!!)

Popular posts from this blog

Enchante, Mumbai!

  It has been roughly nine years since we landed in the city of dreams - the two of us with a one big suitcase each and one kid half-the size of a case. We walked into an empty apartment on the twelfth floor of a building on a hot June afternoon, physically exhausted, yet high in spirits (Age had not withered us then). Strangely, I seem to remember how the first day in Mumbai unfolded with a lot of detail - insignificant things like the first dress I wore in Mumbai, first road-side sandwich , the first shopping experience in the very Mumbai-sh "DMart", the first person I heard speaking in Tamil in a rather foreign place, the first maid I employed(who promptly quit on me), and of course, the first meal that we ordered (in a non-Swiggy era). Jhumpa Lahiri, in her Pulitzer winning collection "Interpreter of Maladies",  insinuates through one of her characters, who reminisces about his first day in America with a new wife - about how bizarre it is that the mundane first

Thillana Mohanambal.....

Here's some plain speaking ...I stay at Bangalore and yet I've never been any good with movies or with catching up with the latest releases. I can never be dedicated to any task for more than a few minutes, and being glued to the silver screen for two-and-a-half or three hours is not, in many cases, an exception. I do have quite a few English favorites though (This is affectionately called the UK effect by some of my team-mates). Given a choice, I would prefer the Tamil oldies to the latest Hindi or the regional masalas . And speaking of Tamil oldies, the one film that pops up in my mind is this evergreen classic Thillana Mohanambal .. It is truly a classic..not only because it is set in the early to mid nineteenth century or because it is of Eastman colour..but also because generations after generations, people (children and adults alike) have found pleasure in every scene of the movie..I've watched the movie a zillion times before and I can play the entire movie in my

Probability is God!!!

If you agree with this rather audacious claim, then you are either too wise to be reading this blog post or, you have probably read God's Debris and with the wisdom of common sense, you are willing to ponder about this statement, and its equally contentious converse - God is Probability!!! I am, as you may have guessed with my previous posts, not too wise. I happened to read God's Debris , and I happen to be common-sensical , and I coined these propositions. Here is the inductional hypothetical base upon which I try to prove these.. Probability is based on the law of averages . The probability of getting a head while tossing a coin is (1/2). Does it mean that when you toss a coin twice, you are guaranteed to get head once and a tail once? Not really!!! It means that when you toss a coin 100 times, you are likely to get heads 50 times and tails 50 times, and when you toss the same Godforbidden coin 1000 times, you are more likely to get heads 500 times and tails 500 times. P